Dear Bat Shalom Friends and Allies - The following statement will be
published in this Friday's Al Kuds newspaper. It reflects Bat Shalom's
political positions, involvement in protest and resistance activities, and
unwavering belief that if human rights are sacrificed in the name of
security and peace, our region will never taste the freedom, justice and
peace that both our peoples long for and deserve. Terry
A Message to the Palestinian People from Israeli Women
During these difficult times, it is important to us that you know that:
* Israeli soldiers and settlers are neither the spokespersons for nor
the representatives of the entire Israeli population.
* We condemn the inhumane policies of killing and injuring protesters,
closure, settlement expansion, bypass roads, house demolitions, and the
years of humiliation and suffering inflicted on the Palestinian people.
* We call for an end to the occupation of the Palestinian territories, the
dismantlement of Jewish settlements, recognition of Jerusalem as the shared
capital of two states, and establishment of the state of Palestine side by
side with the state of Israel based on the 1967 borders.
* We believe that Israel's recognition of its responsibility in the
creation of the Palestinian refugees in 1948 is a pre-requisite to finding a
just and lasting resolution of the refugee problem in accordance with
relevant UN resolutions.
* We pledge to do our utmost to influence the Israeli government to
Dismantle the apparatus of occupation and oppression.
* We Israeli women, Jewish and Palestinian, in the name of all progressive
Israelis, join hands in solidarity with those Palestinians and Palestinian
organizations in the Occupied Territories who continue to struggle for our
common vision of peace, coexistence and cooperation in the Middle East.
Bat Shalom of the Jerusalem Link
March 25, 2001