A new playing field and playground for the school of the Latin Patriarchate of Naour in Jordan

Posted on May 30, 2019

Curia - Latin Patriarchate of Jerusalem

by Irénée Julien-Laferrière, Latin Patriarchate of Jerusalem

JORDAN – Since the beginning of the year, the school of the Latin Patriarchate of Naour has been delighted by the new sports facilities put in place thanks to donations from the Equestrian Order of the Holy Sepulcher. This initiative was created to allow students to flourish in the school and make teaching more lively and friendly.

“Sport is a human activity of great value, able to enrich people’s lives!” (H.H. Pope Francis)

Naour is a small town of 50,000 inhabitants, south-west of Amman, supported by agriculture and commerce. Initially, the parish and school were built in 1924, the school was later moved twice, in 1954 and forty years later, where it is now.

The school now has eight classrooms that benefit 350 students from primary to kindergarten. There are also three laboratories with computers, a small scientific equipment and some books.

The work of the new sports facilities, the realization of which was made possible thanks to the generosity of the Knights of the Equestrian Order of the Holy Sepulcher of the Lieutenancy of Belgium, were managed and supervised by the engineering department of the Latin Patriarchate.

This project is part of a project for the future of the school of the Latin Patriarchate of Naour which would open a large high school that would extend up to the 12thgrade (equivalent of the French Terminale). The implementation of this plan started in 2010, after a complete rehabilitation of the buildings. In 2017, an additional floor for the 9th and 10thgrades was born. With the creation of the sports and recreation areas, the school’s rehabilitation plan is advancing rapidly, benefiting students and their changing needs.